The upgrading of existing electrical infrastructure to an NHS hospital located in Liverpool to provide increased capacity and additional resilience to the overall power supply by providing a new emergency back up generator.
Scope of Works
PW were also responsible for the design and installation of the following elements of the project in their entirety.
- HV Vacuum Circuit Breaker
- 1500KVa KNAN Transformer
- Replace existing 1000KVa transformer with 1500KVa
- Mains & Sub-mains cabling
- LV Switchboards, Closed transition by-pass switches
- HV, LV, UPS, IPS ladder rack & cable containment systems
- Automatic & manual transfer switches
- UPS installation
- UPS distribution
- IPS installation
- IPS distribution
- BMS & all Civils works in connection with transformer base and compounds
This project, by its nature was located on a site, which was within an occupied and operating hospital. The daily function of all occupants/users had to continue unimpeded throughout the duration of the works.
All outages and work on existing power supplies that would effect operational departments and life saving equipment had to be undertaken out of normal working hours. This called for a high level of collaboration between the key stakeholders, the clients professional team and PW.
The management and planning of the works had to consider and cater for the inherent risks of working in a live hospital environment such as:
- Isolation procedures
- Back up service provision
- Work in occupied areas
- Asbestos surveys and asbestos removal
- Sequencing of operations
- Installations techniques in occupied areas
- Out of hours working
- Emergency procedures
- COSHH and infection risk management